The Paradox of Change
People working for change often struggle with the very problems they are trying to address in the world. Climate activists suffer from burnout, sustainability advocates experience despair, depletion and lack of resource. Organisations working for equality and justice get tangled up in their own internal conflict and power struggles.
Inevitably present, but rarely discussed, these dynamics block our potential – personally and collectively. They get in the way of us making the changes we’re seeking, and limit what we’re capable of.
This interactive, experiential 6 week online programme will illuminate your relationship to questions of change, power and impact. It invites activists, campaigners, change makers, and their organisations to reflect on, and move beyond, blind spots and hidden assumptions.
What are our shadows as people who want to create change in the world?
How can we use these consciously to access the very resources, capacities and energies we most need for our work to be effective?
Many people are trying to change the world ‘out there’. Amazingly the very thing that most bothers us ‘out there’ can become a signpost to our own development. This unlocks entirely new strategies and possibilities for action.
What will I get?
What will we cover?
We will use live case studies, group dialogue and simple but powerful experiential exercises. We’ll illuminate how the people and situations we want to change ‘out there’, offer us gifts that help us work with more clarity, creativity and impact.
Incorporating insights from the groundbreaking identity work of Peter Koenig, cultural trends research, leadership development psychology and the process oriented psychology of Arnold Mindell, this is an inquiring, fun and insightful opportunity to transform your relationship to some rarely discussed topics. We will find in us the very forces we hope to change out in the world, and discover how to engage these forces for good.
Bring your questions and challenges and come play, explore and discover new possibilities for your activism, agency and change work.
Who is it for?
For people who:
- Are working toward a different, better world within the business, community or not for profit world.
- Are activists, campaigners, social entrepreneurs, politicians, tempered radicals or revolutionary spirits – in whatever sphere.
- May struggle (or have struggled) with burnout, exhaustion and lack of resource in your life or project / organisation.
- Experience confusion, blockages or conflict that you are ignoring, not dealing with effectively, or that are sucking up time and energy in your project.
- Sense that the time has come to connect, scale and collaborate to generate real impact.
- Seek tools and insights to overcome old patterns that are hindering your potential to create or contribute to positive change.
- Welcome personal and professional development in service of the work you want to do.
How does it work?
The programme takes place over 6 weeks, with one 90 minute live session each week. Sessions are 13.00 – 14.30 BST (UK time).
All sessions are recorded for you to watch again, or catch up in your own time if you are unable to attend a session live.
You are also invited to post questions and updates before each session – which I will respond to, even if you are not able to attend live.
Session 1: Getting started. Introductions. Shadow and projection. Cultural change, sub-groups and paradigms.
Session 2: Polarity & integration. Activism, change, personal & leadership development.
Session 3: The paradox of change. Inner struggles and outer battles. Activism as alchemy.
Session 4: Opponents, baddies, and ‘Other’ as homeopathy and as mirror. Holistic activism and the need for many ways of knowing.
Session 5: Inner and outer systems. Inner and outer power. Power, individuation and wholeness.
Session 6: Reflection. Integration. Tying up threads. Finding our place to stand, and our way to be. New visions for our activism.
*The exact content of each session will respond to the group’s interest, live questions, case studies and themes that emerge. It is likely that over the 6 weeks we will look at all the topics and themes listed above, but not necessarily in exactly that order.
My programmes attract people from a wide variety of life, work and financial situations. To create a healthy ecology of work I charge on a sliding scale. I invite you to choose the highest ticket price that is affordable and appropriate for you / your organisation.
Price for 6 session programme – including all calls, recordings and materials:
£225* – £725 (including VAT)
*A limited number of bursary places are available. If you would like to attend this course and are unable to pay £225, you are invited to complete an application on the booking form to pay any rate below that.
Who is Tim?
In my 20s I was involved in direct action, political campaigning and ecological design education. I found the experience of campaigning and activism both inspiring and painful in equal measure.
In my 30s I was a tutor, then a co-director of an internationally renowned Masters programme on sustainable and responsible business – supporting leaders in all sectors to create change and take positive action. The programme was cited in Harvard Business Review as being “transformative” and “path-breaking”.
In my 40s, in addition to my coaching and facilitation work – supporting professionals in all spheres to take action for positive change, I became an elected politician, (not for long, but I learned a lot about change!)
My life long question has been about how we can each create positive social, ecological and political change, according to our unique natures. My work is deeply inspired by perspectives from eastern spirituality, western psychology, and leadership / change research. I find ideas on integrating shadow sides of ourselves and our work immensely helpful in addressing questions of impact, change and leadership.
- An incredible, well developed and revelatory workshop that truly has the potential to change your life.Chris BettlesDirector // If Not Now Digital
- Tim has affirmed my instincts, trusted deeply my values and visions, and helped me express them with calmness and confidence in the situations that mattered. I highly recommend working with Tim to anyone wanting to combine impact with genuineness and authenticity on their own leadership journey.Louise NkosiDeputy CEO // MeWe360
- Tim has supported and challenged me to stay aligned with my core purpose, to refine tactics and strategies, and to step forward with increased confidence and conviction. I would absolutely recommend him to anyone looking to expand their contribution and express their true values in the work they do.Kevin OsborneFounder & CEO // Create Equity
- Tim brings the considerable intellectual and spiritual capacities of his whole self to everything he does in a way that I consider a model for how I aspire to do my own work in the world. I can't recommend working with him highly enough.Jon AlexanderAuthor: Citizens // Founder: New Citizenship Project
- So very insightful in terms of defining my authenticity and purpose ... a clearer sense of agency, honesty and courage has been brought into my work.Alex BaseHead of Operational Sustainability // HSBC
- Tim challenged me to take seriously the scale of my ambition to work toward a better world. He’s helped me express integrity, wholeness and presence in all my work. Today I feel deep gratitude for the road I’ve travelled. I can think of no better guide to realising what’s possible on your own journey than Tim.Nick FlynnLegal Director // Avaaz.org